What is the difference between a University and a College?

To study at a Canadian University, you must first be accepted in a program of study by a recognized Canadian university. Once you have determined which universities meet your needs, contact the registrar’s office at each institution to obtain an application for a bachelor’s program or a professional degree. If you wish to pursue postgraduate studies in Canada you may obtain more information by contacting the dean of graduate studies at the universities that interest you. It is important to apply early. Generally, international students should apply to a Canadian university up to eight months in advance. Some universities have application deadlines as late as June for a September start date. Typical entry points for international students are the September and January semesters. However, many universities have adopted a procedure of “rolling admissions” which means that they consider international students’ applications as they come in throughout the year. However, for graduate programs, in particular, it can take time to ensure you are matched with the right faculty adviser, so give yourself enough lead-time. Calendars with course descriptions, admission requirements and procedures, costs and scholarships are available from the registrar at each university.
Engineering, optometry, medicine, veterinary medicine, law, and dentistry are fields where the first professional degree is considered an undergraduate program. Limited seats are available contingent on your academic merit. A high level of academic achievement is required for admission. Often at least two years of undergraduate study in a related field are required before you can be admitted to the first professional degree program. Check the university calendar to identify tests such as LSAT (law) or DAT (dentistry) that may also be required.

Did you find this article useful?